How to find focus in a fragmented day.
This week Frankie Tortora and Steve Folland have a chat in response to a question from Ross Wintle. Ross is a software developer, he says:
“How do you cope with days where you have lots of ‘context switches’ and can’t focus. Like my ‘half day’ which is:
• Get wife + pre-schooler out the house
• School run – Off to co-working
• Collect pre-schooler
• School run (with pre-schooler in tow)
• Feed school-kid
• Hand pre-schooler to grandma
• Take school-kid to swim class
• Home for tea
It does my head in, and though I have half a day of work in there, I rarely get anything done. The changes drain me so much. I find it exhausting too.
Do you have days like that? Do you have tips for getting focus when your day is so fragmented? Do you just avoid planning in “deep work” for those days?”